Wednesday, January 29, 2014

personal spaghetti squash lasagna

Hi, all!

I have been looking for creative way to use spaghetti squash and I kind of wanted to go outside of the realm of "just use it as pasta and put marinara sauce on top!"  


So I investigated on Pinterest and a few recipes for these sweet lasagna boats caught my eye.  As per the usual, I looked a few different ones to see the general preparation guidelines and then made it how I wanted to.  I know, I'm such a rebel.  ;]

Anyway, I used my limited resources and came up with my own rendition that I like to call "Personal Spaghetti Squash Lasagna":


Yum.  Is your mouth watering yet?  If not, look at that melty cheese again.  I bet it is now!

I have to admit that about halfway through one of these babies, I was questioning if I could finish it!  I did finish, but let's just say that I won't be having ANY snacks tonight!  This was SO satisfying!  It fills you up just like regular lasagna and warms you heart and soul!  I would classify this as a comfort food.  A delicious, fairly nutritious comfort food.  And the best part is that like most things I post, there is room for small changes to make it your own!  I already have a few in mind for next time!

Just a random side note, I am providing the recipe for the sauce below.  I had some in the freezer that I thawed out and used.  You can do that, or make some fresh and freeze what you don't use!  

So, without further ado, here is the recipe:

1 small spaghetti squash
1 cup easy meaty spaghetti sauce (recipe found here)
1/3 cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup Italian blend cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan)
1/4 cup fresh mozzarella
Fresh basil
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut spaghetti squash in half.  Scoop out seeds and goop.  Lightly spray small oven-safe dish with nonstick spray.  Place spaghetti squash into dish and drizzle with olive oil.  Make sure to smear it around to cover the squash's inside and top surfaces.  Season with salt and pepper.  This is where I messed up.  The directions I found said to bake it face down, but I didn't do that.  I left it face up.  And you know what?  It turned out just as fabulous.



Bake in oven for about 30 minutes, or until you can just scrape the squash into strands.  Remove from the oven and turn the oven down to 350 degrees.  Then scrape those strands out!  Then you can start layering like you would with regular lasagna!  I started with a layer of sauce, followed by squash, then sauce, dollop of cottage cheese, cheese blend, then start over with the squash!  I had enough for 2 layers.  I finished with a layer of sauce, lightly sprinkled some cheese blend, but topped it off with the fresh mozzarella and a couple of leaves of fresh basil!



Bake for another 30 minutes or until hot all the way through and the cheese on top starts to brown, juuuuust a tad!  I turned on the broiler for about 3 minutes at the end to give it a little more color.

And voila:


Your very own personal lasagna!  Just add wine!  ;]

Okay, so it was my day off, so YES, I indulged in a glass of red to go with this warm, delicious, comforting meal.  I think it would also go great with something like brussel sprouts or a nice spinach salad, but like I said, for me, this was PLENTY of food.  Very filling!

I bet you are also wondering what happened to the other half of the squash!  Well, let me just tell you!  You can double the rest of the recipe if you are cooking for two.  I however, am not.  So I lubed the other half up with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper and threw it in the oven at the same time as the half that later became lasagna.  The difference?  I left the other half in the oven until the lasagna was completely done.  I took them out at the same time and waited for it to cool while I ate and then scraped out the strands afterwards!  I threw them in the fridge and am planning to use them in another recipe!

Resourcefulness, people.  Make every grocery count!  :]

So anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!  It's such a great lower calorie, higher nutrient substitute for lasagna noodles.  And, in my humble opinion, it tastes WAY BETTER than regular spaghetti!

Share your favorite spaghetti squash recipes in the comments and stay tuned for what happens to the OTHER HALF!!!

Stay fit!

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment