Wednesday, September 25, 2013

easy meaty spaghetti sauce

Hi all!  I was out and about taking photos again today, so I figured I would share a couple of the ones that I took!  And while I'm at it, I will share the spaghetti sauce recipe my mom and I made last night.  But first, the photos!




 Okay, so I am a loser.  Whatever.  Here is the sauce recipe.  It makes enough to feed a small army.  Mom and I had dinner last night, made 5 portions of spaghetti for later and still had sauce left.  So feel free to cut the recipe in half, if you would like.  We are using the extra sauce to make lasagna, later this week!  We are all about leftovers in this family....

Anyway, I love this sauce recipe because it is so chunky, wholesome, and delicious!  Not to mention that you can use it in many Italian dishes and you can easily alter it to fit your needs/tastes.  Without further ado.....
Easy Meaty Spaghetti Sauce!
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, chopped to desired size (i like them long and stringy)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 28 ounce cans diced or petite diced tomatoes (whichever you prefer)
1 12 ounce can tomato paste
About 1 tablespoon each: onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano, parsley
1/8-1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Okay!  I like to start by sauteing the onions in olive oil on high-medium high heat.  When they are about halfway wilted, add the ground beef.  I like to season the beef with Lawry's seasoned salt, salt, and pepper.  When beef is cooked, reduce the heat and add the garlic.  Be very careful, because it will buuuuurn!  Stir frequently for about 1-2 minutes.  Add tomato paste and really mush it in with the beef.  (It makes it easier to combine than when plopped in with the tomatoes)  Add both cans of tomatoes and all of the seasonings, except the Parmesan cheese!  You can alter the quantities of seasoning to your tastes.  Reduce heat to low-medium low.  At this point, you can start your pot of boiling water to make your noodles!  The sauce should be good and hot by the time the noodles are done!  About two minutes before serving, add the cheese and stir into the sauce, allowing it to melt.  Serve atop a pile of pasta and top with more Parmesan!  Yum!

I love pasta and I love a good, hearty sauce to go with it.  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!  Maybe I will post how I make brussel sprouts next!

Stay fit!

xoxo



2 comments: