Wednesday, January 22, 2014

peanut butter energy squares

Okay, so these were previously known as "PB Chocolate Energy Bites", but I decided to give them a new name based one little thing:  how I portion them out.  This is a great and somewhat addicting recipe to have on-hand.  I am starting to have a couple of them on my way to the gym to give myself a little energy boost before my workout.


Although they are delicious, beware!  They aren't called "energy" squares for nothing.  What provides energy?  Calories.  Specifically the sugars in the peanut butter and honey.  I finally did the math and an entire batch is close to 2400 calories.  This is why I recommend splitting them into 24 squares for 100 calorie portions.  These are definitely calorie dense, not nutrient dense.  So, while eating a couple as a pick-me-up is fine, don't eat half of a batch of them!  You have been warned!!!!

Without further ado, here is the mouth-watering recipe:

Peanut Butter Energy Squares
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup milled flax seed
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/3 cup chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the nut butter, honey, and vanilla until smooth.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.  Remove from fridge.  Press into 8x8 pan.  Cut into 24 squares to make bite-sized pieces.  Store in refrigerator or freezer until you want to eat them.


.
Keep in mind that you can use any nut butter that you prefer.  In addition, you can vary the ratio of flax seed to wheat germ or cut one out completely, as long as you add 1 cup total of a second dry ingredient.  Although I suppose you could just do 2 cups of old fashioned oats if you really wanted to.  Finally, you can substitute dried fruits or nuts for the chocolate chips if you want to add a bit more of a nutritional punch.

They keep pretty well, but as the dry ingredients absorb the wet ingredients, they lose their limited "crispiness".

I hope enjoy these addicting little squares!!

xoxo,

anne


No comments:

Post a Comment