Monday, January 13, 2014

spicy mexican burrito bowl with zucchini

OMG.  I don't like to brag or anything, but this came out WAY better than I had expected.  It was phenomenal.  I stuffed my face.  And now I am super full.  But it was so worth it.  The Spicy Mexican Burrito Bowl.



I based this recipe off of one that I found on Pinterest, but tweaked it to my tastes and to what I had in the fridge.  The original recipe is a skillet meal, but this is definitely not.  It's definitely my take on a burrito bowl (which is awesome).

Anyway, I went shopping at Woodman's today and got some GREAT deals on produce and some dried spices that I had been meaning to pick up.  When I arrived home, I was trying to figure out what I could make for dinner to incorporate some of my new food.  Then I found this recipe.  Which then turned into THIS recipe:

Spicy Mexican Burrito Bowl
2 cups cooked brown rice, prepared with chicken broth
1/4 large white onion
2 cloves garlic
1 small zucchini
1-2 chicken breasts
1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup grated cheddar/Mexican/Monterey Jack cheese (whichever you like best)
Sour cream

Seasonings:  1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. Lawry's, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. red chili flakes, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Prepare brown rice to package directions.  I use chicken broth instead of water to give it a little bit of a flavor boost.  Dice onion and zucchini.  Grate or mince garlic.


In skillet, use about 2 tsbp butter or vegetable oil to saute onions and chicken on medium heat.  When onions and chicken are almost cooked, add garlic and zucchini.  Season everything with salt, peper, Lawry's, garlic powder, onion powder, red chili flakes, and cayenne pepper.    Saute until zucchini is al dente.  Reduce heat to medium low and add black beans and tomatoes.



Cover and let rest until everything (namely the beans and tomatoes) are hot.

Dish up about 1/2 cup rice and 1/2-3/4 cup vegetable/chicken mixture.  Top with cheese of choice and sour cream.



Yum.  Okay, so I skipped the sour cream because I didn't have any.  You don't HAVE to use sour cream, either.  Or cheese, for that matter.  I just happen to love cheese.

Possible changes:
Substitute chickpeas for the chicken
Nix the cheese
Add corn (definitely doing this next time)
Add salsa or pico de gallo

Anyway, the point is that there is room for experimentation.  I loved this recipe, so I hope you like it, too!

Stay fit!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment