Saturday, January 14, 2017

butternut squash lo mein

Okay you guys!  

So I seriously feel like I have stepped up my veg cooking game recently.  I have greatly reduced the processed foods that I eat too and it has been absolutely amazing how much happier I am, how much more energy I have, and I even noticed that the cellulite on my ass is slowly but surely disappearing!  I *know* this is related to how I’m fueling my body because I had similar results last spring when I did a no added sugar challenge.  Fueling your body with whole foods is quite underrated and quite amazing.  I’m considering doing a whole foods 30 day kick start challenge, so let me know if this is something you would be interested in joining me in!  I think it would be great to get a small group of people together who are excited to try something new.  But more on that later.


Anyway, I’m very excited about this recipe for spiralized butternut squash lo mein!  It. Is. Delicious.  I think it’s the sweetness of the butternut squash and the salty goodness of the tamari that I am obsessed with it.  Let’s be real…everybody loves a good sweet and salty combo.




 I found this recipe here and tweaked to my tastes.  I also couldn’t figure out for the life of me how to spiralizer the hollow bulb part of the squash, so the ratio is lots of veggies to a smaller amount of noodles, which I’m actually okay with though!

Butternut Squash Lo Mein
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and spiralized
2 tsp peanut oil, divided
1/2 yellow onion (or 1 small yellow onion), sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms (button or portabella)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups kale or spinach

Sauce:
3 tbsp tamari--you can substitute soy sauce or liquid aminos
1 tsp organic maple syrup
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (plain is fine too, just not as flavorful)
1 tsp peanut oil
1/2 tsp ginger (minced, ground or juice)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Optional topping: sesame seeds

In a skillet, heat 1 tsp peanut or coconut oil over medium heat. Add butternut squash "noodles" and toss for 5-6 minutes with tongs until al-dente. Set aside for later.  In the same skillet, add remaining 1/2 tsp of oil and add your vegetables (sliced onions, peppers, mushrooms).  Sauté for 8 minutes, or until soft. And the minced garlic and stir that baby up!  Then add the kale and stir until it’s wilted.  Add your sauce and reserved squash "noodles", keep stirring with tongs and keep mixing until sauce has coated everything and noodles are as tender as you like them. Finally, top off with toasted sesame seeds and serve!




xoxo,
Anne



No comments:

Post a Comment